Friday, March 26, 2010

Understanding A Fox

Here is a poem I am working on. It is not finished yet. But thought I would share. It is based loosly on a childrens book called "The Old Country"


Yes I once was a fox
Wiry red coat with black for my sox
Stared in the eyes of the wily old beast
Transformed to the timid my body he leased

Chicks were stole, so off did I chase
To kill the fox, from this world to erase
Trailed him and hunted till body was worn
Found him sitting, waiting looking forlorn

Warned was I from tales of the old
A child takes no heed to all she is told
The wizened old woman said never to stare
In the Golden green eyes with star-bursting flare

Stalking up to this dog at the watch
Bow at the ready string in the notch
Before I release I hear a small voice
Confused, getting closer, bow still at the hoist

He spoke softly to me, convinced me to view
In his eyes I saw rabbits, fur wet with the dew
Lust for the flesh ran through my mind
Chasing and catching the meat I did find

Looking back at me was a girl with an arrow
Familiar she was, her eyes squinting narrow
The voice of the fox she produced raspy
Seeing now, I was the fox, and the fox was me

Girl says, to be a fox is splendid, I'm sure you'll agree
But people are cruel, so you must see
Sought you for me, now I will seek thee
If ever my house you come near to be

No comments:

Post a Comment